Approximately the size of a small school bus, the Terra satellite carries five instruments that take coincident measurements of the Earth system:
- Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER)
- Clouds and Earth’s Radiant Energy System (CERES)
- Multi-angle Imaging Spectroradiometer (MISR)
- Measurements of Pollution in the Troposphere (MOPITT)
- Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS)
Terra is in a circular sun-synchronous polar orbit that takes it from north to south (on the daylight side of the Earth) every 99 minutes.
Learn more: http://terra.nasa.gov/